These lovely tartlets take inspiration from that ubiquitous can of coconut macaroons! The macaroon mixture is turned into a tartlet shell, and filled with either salted ganache or almond filling. Easy, delicious and doubles beautifully to serve a crowd!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut (can be sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 4 ounces chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- flaky sea salt
- 1 egg white, room temperature
- 2 ounces almond paste, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- 12 whole almonds
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees; grease a 12-cup mini muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl combine the tart shell ingredients till well incorporated. Spoon evenly into your muffin tin and press into the bottoms and sides (slightly damp fingers help keep things from sticking).
- Bake the shells till golden brown around the edges, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack. When cool enough to handle remove from tin to cool completely. Place the chocolate chips in a small bowl. Heat the cream just till tiny bubbles form and pour over the chocolate chips. Let sit for five minutes and whisk till smooth. Pour into the cooled tart shells, top with a bit of flaky sea salt and refrigerate till set.
- Beat the egg white till frothy, then add the almond paste and confectioner’s sugar and beat till smooth. Spoon evenly into the tart shells and bake till golden brown around the edges, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack. Gently insert an almond into each of the tarts. When cool enough to handle remove from tin to cool completely.
Sheri Silver is a mom of 3, food photographer and lifestyle blogger at her self-titled blog. Find her at www.sherisilver.com or on Instagram at @sherisilver