The past year and a half was super fun eating our way through so many restaurants and trying so many new and exciting trends in the food industry. Well, inside the Kosher Guru house I think it was time to get healthy!
The Kosher Guru house has been eating “clean” for the past few weeks. That basically means simple meat, chicken, fish, and tons of veggies. We have nothing with flour or sugar and we try and sweeten things naturally. Believe me it’s not easy loving to eat and limiting the foods you put in your body. However let me tell you how much better you feel knowing you are putting healthy foods to nourish yourself with. Well this one is a dish I made last Shabbos that was delish! And it’s all based around artichokes that I love and I think everyone in this house does too. I used the frozen Blanchard & Blanchard artichoke hearts because they are huge!!! They are just screaming PLEASE STUFF ME!!!!! They really were amazing to work with. So naturally if you are eating clean that limits what you can put inside these beautiful babies. So I chose to stuff with leeks, shallots, baby bella mushrooms, and spinach (I used Bodek chopped spinach for this)
I just sautéed my leeks and shallots in some olive oil then added the mushrooms, and last I added some frozen spinach. I’m sure fresh would have been amazing too!!! Then I just simply added salt and freshly ground pepper and piled my filling into these artichoke heart beauties. I roasted them for about 10 minutes on 400 to get a nice crust on my filling heat to believe this was made from just pure good old veggies. This is a great side dish or even a main for a vegetarian. It is high in nutrients low in carbohydrates and super healthy and delish, definitely worth a try. If interested in a little variation try some pesto under the filling it gives it an extra boost of flavor either store bought or just make your own!!! One other idea with Shavuot coming up and a dairy version is just add some feta on top that yummy saltiness and creaminess of the cheese will just take these to a whole new level. Have fun and enjoy! Be sure to follow @kosherguru on Facebook and Instagram for more exciting recipes coming soon.
- Blanchard & Blanchard artichoke hearts (OR any whole artichoke hearts you find)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Leek cleaned and cut sliced thin
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 box baby bella mushrooms (any mushroom would work) sliced
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- Defrost the artichoke hearts and set aside
- In a sauté pan sauté the leeks and shallots in the olive oil. After 3-4 minutes add your mushrooms Cook another 5 minutes until the water is released from the mushrooms and they are soft
- Add your spinach salt and pepper to taste and mix until uniform.
- Spray an oven proof dish with cooking spray and lay out your defrosted artichokes
- Sprinkle them with a little salt
- Pile your filling inside the artichokes
- In a 400 degree oven roast the stuffed artichokes until a crust forms and they get a little browned on top 10-20 minutes
- Remove from oven Eat and enjoy!!!!