Lack of sandwiches is probably the biggest struggle for many people on Pesach. Chop hamoed Trips will forever be equivalent with tiny containers of tuna fish and egg salad served with potato sticks and copious amounts of chocolate to make up for the lack of carbs. When my friend @kukisbread (originally from Brazil) told me about these cheese breads which are meant to be gluten free to begin with, I knew my chol hamoed Trips were changed forever. These are perfectly freezable raw ahead of time, just bake for a little extra time. Split and smear with your favorite filling or eat plain. Little tip tho. Make extra, they go fast especially when piping hot!
- 4 cups tapioca starch
- 4 cups shredded cheese (I use a mix of shredded mozzarella, cheddar, aged cheddar and parmesan)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped herbs (I used parsley and chives)
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- Warm milk, butter, and garlic till fragrant but not boiled.
- Add tapioca starch and mix until moistened.
- Add grated cheese, eggs, herbs and salt.
- Mix until dough firms. You may need a mixer.
- Form balls and freeze in a single layer on a cookie sheet. transfer into a ziplock once frozen solid. when ready to bake preheat the oven to 350 F. and prepare a cookie sheet lined with Parchment paper. Bake frozen so they don’t spread.
- Bake for 15 mins then rotate pan and bake 15 more minutes until golden.
- Serve warm alone or with whipped butter or cream cheese.
Shushy is a mom of 3, a nurse practitioner and a lover of all foods equally besides for cheese which she loves a little extra. Her blog and Instagram page @cookinginheelss aim to educate the average kosher cook to new and exciting ingredients, flavors and techniques. Her hope is to one day make every kosher cook familiar with the versatility of miso, own a closet full of incredible shoes and have a house with a giant room of every kind cheese.