Well it’s Wednesday and I’d like to make a wacky Wednesday macaroni. Ok so maybe not macaroni and the only slight thing that’s wacky might be its shape. It has the shape of what they call little ears and in Italian this is called orecchiette.
I love the little indentation this pasta has almost like a bowl that catches the sauce so each individual piece of pasta has taste, and it is let me tell you ahhhmazing. So here goes my orechiette with tomato garlic and parsley sauce.
First to make my sauce I chop about a head of garlic I love garlic and it just melts into an incredible sauce. I heat up olive oil in a sauté pan and after a minute add the garlic and you should hear that sizzle and for some reason that always gets me excited. I keep moving my pan around because the garlic is going to burn real quick if I don’t. I’m going for a golden colored garlic that will also create a crunch. It only takes a minute or 2 so watch that garlic carefully then I quickly add my tomatoes. For this recipe I like the grape ones, I know they are little and they are so sweet, and it always comes out oh so good. Then I keep my flame on high for about 2 minutes mixing around my tomatoes and garlic. The tomatoes should start to break down and the sauce is coming together. After the 2 minutes I cover the pan and just let it marry together with the oil and garlic. The tomatoes should be soft enough that if I took a fork they should kind of mash together and form that sauce. At this point I can add my salt and pepper (you might need to add more later).Lower your flame and just let simmer a little until the pasta is ready. So at this point I can make the pasta and I make sure its cooked al dente and have a little bite. I’m not sure what I like mushy, but definitely not my pasta. I make sure to leave some of that starchy pasta water to finish the sauce with. OK so now I’m ready to get back to my sauce, the aromas coming from the garlic and tomato are incredible. I’m going to add about a cup of that pasta water, and let my sauce come to a rolling boil. Let it cook down for about a minute and now lets finish this dish. Take the pasta without rinsing and put it in a serving bowl. Then add all that yummy sauce over the pasta, a hand full of fresh parsley, a half cup parmesan cheese, and mix that baby up so it’s all evenly coated. Serve with some garlic bread and a salad for an ahhhmazing kosher guru approved meal. Be sure to follow me to keep up with the latest and greatest in the kosher world and guru nation.
- 1 head of garlic chopped
- 6 TBSP olive oil
- Package of grape tomatoes halved
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Handful chopped parsley
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in sauté pan on high
- Add chopped garlic and move pan around so it doesn’t burn
- When garlic turns golden color add halved tomatoes
- Cook on high mixing often so it doesn’t burn for 2 minutes
- Cover and cook for another 2 minutes or so
- With the back of a fork smash the tomatoes to form a sauce
- Add salt and pepper
- Cover and simmer on low/medium until pasta is cooked
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain and place in serving bowl
- Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water
- Add the cooking water to tomatoes and bring to rolling boil for 2 minutes
- Add sauce to pasta along with parsley and cheese
- Mix together until uniform adjust seasoning and serve with salad and garlic bread
- Take pics to send to kosher guru