Chickpea “latkes” topped with shawarma chicken, Israeli salad, and tahini. I had called them “Shalatkes” aka shawarma latkes!
- 2 cans chickpeas drained and rinsed, dried super well.
- 1/2 an onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic,
- good handful parsley,
- salt, pepper, cumin, smoked paprika,
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- shawarma spice (or cumin, garlic powder, turmeric, paprika, Chile powder, salt)
- a tiny bit of olive oil
- Take 2 cans chickpeas and have them drained,rinsed, and dried super well. Pulse with 1/2 an onion diced, 3 cloves garlic, good handful parsley, salt, pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, and 1 tsp baking powder super gently in the blender because you don’t want super mush you want texture. Ladle into a greased skillet and pan sear about 5 mins per side or until golden and crisp.
- Sprinkle chicken with shawarma spice (or cumin, garlic powder, turmeric, paprika, Chile powder, salt) drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil, and bake on 375 about 40 minutes or until cooked through. You can use two forks to “shred” or simply cut up into small pieces so they can go atop the latkes.
- Top with salad, roasted eggplant, tahini, sliced pickles, or whatever else your heart desires.
Vanessa Haberman is a recipe developer and food stylist. She loves using seasonal ingredients to create new and interesting dishes across different cuisines, with Mediterranean and Thai being favorites. Her cooking requires minimal prep, and utilizes fresh veggies and herbs to create a pop of flavor. You can follow along with her @platesandpetals where she shares the fabulous food she makes for her always busy table of family and friends!