Potato latkes are as exciting as vanilla ice cream. I’m sure there are the purists who believe it’s best to stick with tradition, but I like to mix things up in the kitch. This year, I’m giving the latke a serious makeover, starting with this recipe for broccoli cheddar latkes!
- 1 lb. of broccoli florets, chopped and steamed
- 1 russet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup of panko crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- oil for frying
- Steam and chop the broccoli florets. Place in large mixing bowl. Add the grated potato, diced onion, panko crumbs, eggs, pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, flour, cheese and oil and mix well. Shape into patties and fry until golden brown.
- Serves 12-15 medium sized latkes
Nina Safar is the blogger behind @kosherinthekitch and cookbook author of The Simply Kosher Cookbok now available for order on Amazon, Target and Barnes and Noble.