A new delicious take on an old classic!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- oil for frying
- Whisk flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl. Mix spinach and onion together in a separate bowl. Add milk and eggs to spinach mixture; mix well. Stir flour mixture into spinach mixture until batter is evenly combined.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Oil is ready to use with a drop of spinach batter added to the oil bubbles immediately.
- Drop batter, about 1 tablespoon per fritter, into the hot oil; fry until outside edges of fritters are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove fritters with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil as needed.
Devorah Sandler grew up in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Once she moved to USA, Devorah ’s fond memories of the mouth-watering aroma of alfajores and Argentinian desserts swirling through her childhood home, inspired her to start baking for her children. And their friends. And neighbors. And neighbors’ friends. And neighbors’ friends’ friends.
She specializes on Argentinian dairy desserts, like Alfajores, churros, flan and everything with dulce de leche. You can view her stunning work @joyofcholov on Instagram. Now she lives in Airmont, NY with her husband and 4 children. She can be reach at JoyOfCholov@gmail.com.