The ideal thanksgiving meal consists of a version of turkey, pumpkin pie and pecan pie! The twist on the traditional pecan pie really highlights the fall flavors. Nutty, spiced, and full of sticky maple syrup!
Ginger Bourbon Pecan Pie
Write a review
- For the dough
- 1 ¼ cups (175g) flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces chilled margarine, cubed
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
- For the pecan pie filling
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup dark amber maple syrup
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecan, lightly toasted
- ¼ cup crystalized/candied ginger, finely chopped
- Prepare the dough. Mix flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Add the chilled margarine and pulse the dough until the margarine is broken up into small pieces about the size of peas.
- Add 3 tablespoons of ice water and mix until the dough begins to come together. If necessary, add 1 more tablespoon of water if the dough needs it to come together. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured work surface and knead it with your hands till it comes together. Shape the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface until it’s about 13” in diameter (Big enough to fill your pie dish plus more). Brush off any excess flour and transfer it to a 9” pie plate. Tuck the overhanging edges under (between the rim of the pie plate and the dough). Chill the dough in the refrigerator until firm.
- To bake the pie dough, preheat the oven to 375ºF. Prick the pie dough a few times with a fork. Line the pie dough with parchment paper and fill halfway with beans, rice, or pie weights. Bake until the dough is set and starting to get lightly golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Lift out the paper and continue baking until the dough is well-browned, about 5 to 8 minutes more. Remove from the oven and urn the oven down to 350ºF.
- Prepare the filling, In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, maple syrup, eggs, melted margarine, bourbon, fresh ginger, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the pecans and candied ginger.
- Pour the filling into the pre-baked tart shell and bake until the center of the pie seems just about set. It should still jiggle a little. Begin checking it at the 40-minute mark, but it may take 45 to 50 minutes to reach that point of doneness. Remove it from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Serve pie at room temperature, with a dollop of whip cream or a scoop of ice cream.
- MAKE AHEAD: the baked pie can be kept at room temperature for up to 5 days, or in the fridge for 7 days. Pecan pie is not ideal to freeze but can be done if well wrapped the dough can be made up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated, or frozen for up to 2 months. The dough can be made up to two days in advance and refrigerated, or frozen for up to two months, either unrolled, or rolled out and fitted into the pan.
KosherGuru - Bringing Anything and Everything Kosher to the Masses https://thekosherguru.com/