Beautiful and delicious Stuffed Eggplant perfect for Shavuos!
Write a review
- 3 eggplants sliced 1/8 inch thick 16 ounce part skim ricotta
- 3 tsp of garlic powder
- 3 tsp of dry basil
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella
- 2 egg whites lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 package of chopped spinach defrosted and drained from excess moisture
- 1 package of fillo dough defrosted in fridge overnight
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tbsp safflower oil (or any neutral oil like canola or vegetable oil)
- Homemade or store bought marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350
- On a parchment lined cookie sheet (you will need more then one to do this process) add the eggplant slices in a single even layer. Sprinkle with salt and cover with paper towel and let sit for 15 min and set aside. This process will allow all the excess moisture from The eggplant to come out. Once the 15 min are up wipe down the eggplant from The moisture and salt. Season the eggplant with salt and pepper to taste 2 of basil 2 tsp of garlic powder and 2 tbsp with safflower oil and bake for 15 min. Once the eggplant is done it should be pliable but not fully cooked through, set aside to cool.
- In a non stick skillet over medium hear add tbsp of oil and add the spinach. Sauté the spinach until the spinach wilts and cooks about 5 min and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile in a bowl mix the ricotta cheese, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg white, sautéed spinach, remaining basil, remaining garlic powder and salt n pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees
- In a glass bundt pan add 2 tbsp
- Of safflower oil (or You can spray with nonstick spray)and oil the pan well making sure all the creases are greased. Working with one eggplant at a time layer each eggplant around the pan making sure to overlap each slice so that there are holes. Spoon the ricotta spinach mixture on top the the eggplant slices and spread evenly over the eggplant. Roll out the defrosted fillo dough and cut in half. (Roll up 1/2 the dough and Reserve for another use) lay out the remaining fillo dough on the counter and Cover fillo dough with a damp (not soaking) paper towel
- This will allow the fillo dough to not dry out . brush 1 sheet of of fillo dough with oil and place over the ricotta mixture. Continue this process for another 7 sheets making sure you have a total of 8 fillo dough square total. Tuck in the excess fillo dough into the bundt pan brush last layer with oil and bake uncovered for 25 min until golden brown. Remove eggplant dish and set aside to cool for 15 min
- To unmold place a round serving dish (should be bigger then your bundt pan) over the cooled eggplant bundt. Place your hand on the serving dish and hold the bundt with the opposite hand so that you are holding the serving dish (which she should be facing upwards) and bundt pan in both hands.Flip the eggplant bundt over so that the serving dish turns over and the eggplant bundt is now on top and serving dish is on the bottom. Serve with a ramekin filled with your favorite marinara and enjoy!
KosherGuru - Bringing Anything and Everything Kosher to the Masses https://thekosherguru.com/