When I go to Israel the one thing I love getting there is shawarma. There is just something about having it in a laffa in Israel that gets me every time. I love eating it with Chummus and pickles, Israeli salad and smothered in techina. Well back to reality. I also happen to love love love sausages. If I have a choice between a hot dog and a sausage. I mean I like hot dogs but, like I said I love sausages. When my two favorite things come together it’s like super exciting. Meal Mart has come out with a shawarma sausage and I have been playing around with them with different ideas. I changed it up from my go to laffa and made my sausages into a taco. I love mixing different cultures and cuisines and this is a Mexican, and Israeli fusion combo might you say. The taco is a flour tortilla that I fire roasted to get a char around the taco and added flavor, I then layered my toppings. First layer was a fresh cabbage base of both red and green cabbage, then I plopped on the Meal Mart shawarma sausages then a layer of pickled onions, and then the yummy techina and a few sprigs of cilantro. The toppings are really endless you can add avocado, cucumber, tomato, shredded carrots, arugula, and kale. Ok I think I just named the entire produce section. Bottom line is have fun with it and I also think kids like things in a taco so they might even try these yummy sausages out I know my kids did.
Ingredients: yields about 6 tacos
- 1 package flour tortilla
- 1 package Meal Mart shawarma spiced sausages cut into small rounds
- 1 package shredded red cabbage
- 1 package shredded green cabbage
- 1 Avocado sliced
- Pickled onions (recipe to follow)
- Prepared techina (recipe to follow)
- Cilantro for garnish
Pickled onion ingredients
- 1 16 ounce mason jar
- 1 small/medium red onion cut into thin strips
- ½ cup Apple cider vinegar
- 11/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp peppercorns (optional)
- Hot water
- ½ cup Techina paste
- ½ cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Small handful parsley
Prepare pickled onions (about 24 hrs in advance they last about a month in the fridge).
- In a sauté pan turn on the heat to medium high and add your sausages.
- Sauté the sausages until they develop a nice crust and are cooked through about 5/7 minutes.
- When done set them aside.
- Turn your flame on high, Take your flour tortillas and place it directly on top of your burner about a few seconds each side be careful not to burn it turn over using tongs to char the other side (if you have an electric stove top just do this in a dry pan).
- Layer your toppings and the shawarma onto your taco .
- Finish with pickled onions, avocado, techina, and a few sprigs of cilantro.
- Serve with Israeli salad.
Directions for techina
- Place all Ingredients except parsley in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Adjust Taste as needed (more water if too thick and more salt if needed).
- Add parsley and blend again.
- Serve over tacos.
Directions for pickled onions
Place all ingredients in the mason jar.
Fill the rest of the jar with hot water until filled.
Wait about 24 hours for yummy onions that add so much to salads, sandwiches, and tacos.