I love creating unique recipes that are still easy to make. I find that people are always looking for the next best holiday recipe, but at the same time wanting something easy to tackle. These Jalapeño Cheddar Latkes give you the best of both worlds. This recipe only requires 7 ingredients but is filled with so much flavor! From the melted cheese to the spicy jalapeño kick, these latkes give you so many flavors in one bite.
Serving: 4 -6
Prep Time:45 Minutes | Cook Time: 30 Minutes | Total Time: 1 hr. 15 minutes
1. 4 Russet potatoes
2. 1 cup of canola oil
3. 2 Jalapeños shredded
4. 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
5. 1 egg
6. 2 tablespoons of plain breadcrumbs or matzo meal
7. 1 large yellow onion
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash the potatoes well – do not peel the outer layer.
2. Grate the potatoes, onion and jalapeños with a food processor or hand grater. (Remove the seeds from the jalapeños for a milder taste)
3. Squeeze out all of the liquid from the potatoes, onions and jalapeños with a thin cloth.
4. In a large bowl, add the grated potatoes, onion, jalapeños, cheddar cheese, egg and breadcrumbs. Mix well and add some salt and pepper to taste.
5. Start shaping your latkes by taking about 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture, rolling into a ball and flattening into a patty form.
**An easy hack for the perfect latke size is scooping the potato mixture with an ice cream scooper!
6. Heat your canola oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
7. Add your latkes into the frying pan and cook until each side browns and turns crispy.
8. Set aside a plate with a paper towel. When your latkes are finished cooking, place them on the paper towel to drain.
Lindsay Wess is the blogger behind SevenBites. She make recipes using seven ingredients or fewer to show people that cooking doesn’t need to be complicated to taste good. Cooking should be fun and effortless and that’s why Lindsay’s here to share dishes that may seem daunting at first, but when you start to make it using my easy-to-follow steps, you realize how simple it is. Follow her food adventures on Instagram @sevenbites