click here Does every meal need a salad? I always ask myself that question. Does anyone really like salad or do we pretend to like it because we know it’s good for us. Going into the new year, I would like to start with making sure I have a salad at every meal. I want my kids to learn to like salad from a young age and teach them the importance of healthy eating from early on, and also just to enjoy all foods, weather they are good for you or not. This salad serves a few purposes, it’s not just so my kids learn to eat a vegetable It’s also a fun way to incorporate the simanim for Rosh Hashana. The base I used was kale, yeah that’s the stuff I used to garnish tables with, that has made its way into households as a superfood. I added pomegranate seeds, which by the way I can eat by the bowl full, I love them that much. I also used shaved carrots, roasted butternut squash, Gefen premade beets, roasted leeks, cut up slivers of apple and to top it off and to get them to eat it, candied Meal Mart smoked beef fry. I don’t know about you but growing up we always had salad on the table and my mom always had bacon bits on the side. This reminds me of my childhood and now I get to have the real deal or at the least the Kosher version of the real deal. As a dressing I wanted to go light and I made a pomegranate honey vinaigrette. I hope you love this salad and not just eat it because of the health benefits. I hope in the Zechus of this salad we all have an amazing healthy and prosperous new year.
follow link Ingredients
- 6 cups Chopped kale stems removed cleaned and dried (you can use baby kale, mesclun, or spring mix too)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup butternut squash cubed
- 1 carrot shaved
- 1 Leek cleaned and cut up
- 1 Beet (I used the Gefen premade ones)
- 1 Apple cut thin
- 1-2 tbsp Olive oil for roasting (or cooking spray)
- Salt and pepper
- Candied smoked beef fry (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- On a greased cookie sheet place the butternut squash and leeks making sure not to crowd them.
- Drizzle olive oil on leeks and squash add salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 30 min until browned
- Allow to cool
- To assemble salad
- Place kale in a bowl and dress the kale lightly massaging it into the kale
- layer the rest of the ingredients on top of the kale finishing with the candied beef fry
http://tjez.gob.mx/perdakosis/6258 Pomegranate honey Dressing
- ¼ cup Pomegranate vinegar
- 2 tsp Honey
- ⅛ cup Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl
Use on salad if there is leftover dressing you can keep in the fridge for about a week.
see Candied Beef Fry
go to site Ingredients
- 1 package Meal Mart smoked beef fry
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- On a baking sheet covered in parchment paper spread beef fry strips in a single layer.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top of the beef fry strips coating them.
- Bake for 10 minutes until crispy and fat has rendered.
Allow to cool then chop to use in the salad.